Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Boise State University, Instructor
2019, 2018, 2017
The Cabin Idaho—A Center for Writers & Readers, Instructor
Poetry as Memoir: Fall 2018
Creative Writing: Spring 2018
Memoir: Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Spring 2017
Boise State University, Adjunct Faculty
Fall 2012, Spring 2011, Fall 2010, Summer 2010, Fall 2009
“Handyman.” The Louisville Review. Forthcoming Spring 2019.
“Executive Order.” Clackamas Literary Review. Forthcoming Spring 2019.
“Chasing Our Elusive Voice.” Brevity Magazine. January 2019.
“How the Light Gets In.” Interview with Heather Sellers. Creative Nonfiction. Spring 2018.
“The Congenitally Wonder-Addled Brian Doyle.” Essay. Brevity’s Nonfiction Blog. May 2017.
“Tricks of the Trade: How to Have Fun on the Job.” Feature. Creative Nonfiction. Winter 2017.
“Q&A: Ebola, Ecology, and the ‘Next Big One.’” Interview with Author David Quammen. The American Oxonian. Winter 2016.
“Anger Dragon.” Prose poem. Penny: Online Illustrated Flash Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, and Prose Poetry. February 2016.
Water: Writers in the Attic Anthology. Introduction. The Cabin. August 2016.
Fighting the World’s Fight: Rhodes Scholars in Oxford and Beyond. Memoir excerpt. Third Millennium Publishing. 2016.
Writing Awards and Nominations
- Idaho Writers Conference. Workshop Presenter. Spring 2019.
- Artist-in-Residence at St. Gertrude’s Monastery. Summer 2019.
- Alexa Rose Foundation Grant for Literary Artists: 2017 and 2018.
- “Journeyman.” Short story. Finalist for 2017 Montana Book Festival’s Emerging Writers Contest.
- Idaho Commission on the Arts Professional Development Grant: 2016 and 2018
- Full Scholarship, “Into the Fire” Writing Retreat, The Sun Magazine, Esalen Institute, 2015.
- “Fly Right.” Short story. Finalist for Glen Balch Fiction Contest, Boise State University, 2008.
- “Isolation and Identity in Mary Clearman Blew’s All But The Waltz.” Academic paper and presentation. Finalist for the J. Golden Taylor Award, Western Literature Association, 2006.
Literary Mama. Editorial Staff. 2017 to present.
Quest Magazine. Editor. 2010.
The Idaho Review. Editorial Staff. 2008.
The Cabin, Board of Directors, 2009-2015
Immanuel Lutheran Church Capital Campaign Chair, Fall 2016
Luther Heights Bible Camp, Board of Directors, 2015-present
City Club of Boise, Board of Directors, 2000-2003
Idaho Selection Committee, Rhodes Scholarship Trust, 1993-2003
M.F.A., Creative Writing, Boise State University
M.A., Philosophy, Politics, Economics, Oxford University, Great Britain
B.S., Finance, University of Idaho